Earl Scruggs Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Earl Scruggs Forum

Forum for Earl Scruggs Fans

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Folk banjo information wanted

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2007-04-16

Folk banjo information wanted Empty
PostSubject: Folk banjo information wanted   Folk banjo information wanted EmptyThu Aug 30, 2007 4:40 pm

I've just purchased a 'new' Merlin long neck, or Folk Banjo. I say 'new because it still has the price tags on it, and comes from a private collection estate sale. Some say the Merlin was an albatross, others say it's a great sounding instrument. I should get it next week and I'll make up my own mind about that I guess.
I know that by capoing at the second fret it will play like a standard neck. But where can I find information, books, lessons, DVD's, CD's, etc. about playing the long neck/folk banjo as it was meant to be played?
I've got some ideas for some songs that I'm hoping to be able to pull off with it. But I basically bought it for my personal banjo collection, and possible investment value. ~ Grizzly

Originally posted by Grizzly
Back to top Go down
https://earlscruggs.forumotion.com
sprnova

sprnova

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2007-05-20

Folk banjo information wanted Empty
PostSubject: Re: Folk banjo information wanted   Folk banjo information wanted EmptySat Nov 10, 2007 9:41 am

Hello Grizz,
Did you try a search on the net for this info? I have done alot of searching and never came by any info on long necks, but have seen them out there for sale.
How about an email to Janet Davis Music or Stewart-MacDonald-i have found tons of info on the latter site. Look under "Free Information."
Hope this helps you,
pat
Back to top Go down

Folk banjo information wanted
Page 1 of 1